Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Welcome

Welcome to my BLOG! This is my very first blog, so please be patient as I navigate this new domain. Let me start by giving a little history about myself. I am a master's level school counseling student at Florida Gulf Coast University. I have the privilege of studying under Dr. Russ Sabella, who happens to be a foremost expert in school counseling and an advocate for the profession. I am also in a unique situation in that I am currently working full-time at Dunbar High School as a school counselor while also completing my final internship. Prior to this year, I taught math and psychology. I LOVE teaching and look at school counseling as an opportunity to continue teaching but in a different way. I am also a newly wed, celebrating a year of marriage. My husband is super supportive of me and all my endeavors and super cute I might add.

This year has been a year of transition. At times I have found it hard to give up being a math teacher and find myself intensely missing being in the classroom on a daily basis. I guess after 8 years of doing a job you love, these feelings are bound to pop up. Other times I feel that I have been thrown into the school counseling profession and have no clue what is going. Luckily, I have two incredible mentor counselors that I can go to for help. Regardless, I am counting down the days until I graduate so that grad school is one less thing on my plate. As of today, only 88 days until I walk across the stage. Yay!!!

I decided to start a blog because... I have to. This is an assignment for my Advance Counseling Methods class. While this is a requirement for graduate school, I do not intend to lackadaisically post in order to fulfill the basic requirements. My hope is that this blog will be a resource for students, teachers, administrators, and fellow school counselors. As I locate resources, I plan to share them with the blogging world.

No comments:

Post a Comment